Friday 9 November 2012

TED talk about Marcus McConnell


So today I am going to talk about my ideas of a genius person. That person should have a remarkable impact on other people and a successful life in ordered to be categorized as a genius.  (smile)

Okay so I will talk particularly about a paradigm of a genius person. Probably, some of you might know of him. If you don’t then you will now (smile). He is Doctor Marcus McConnell, a marketing professor at the University Of Mount Union. If I should recommend someone for you to talk to, I would say Mark McConnell, the guy who speaks without hesitation. And he is also a genius.  

If you want to know deeper about Marcus, here is some helpful information. He first got his Bachelor at Young Town State University and latter a master degree at Tulane University. Yeah he did not graduate from Harvard or Yale. He went to normal schools like most of the people did at that time. Mark said: “pssh who needs that Harvard degree to be like me right now.” Right after his graduation from grad school, he started to experience in reality and kindled his own dream business.

Dr. McConnell is not only really well known by people on this campus, but also about another thing. And that’s actually what makes him so special. He has his own business company outside of this school. Yeah, he does not only teach, but he also operates a business for his own. How many people could do that? So that one day when I talked privately to Mark, he told me how successful he was with his other life other than teaching. He finally reaches to the point after 20 year building his dream business career that he doesn’t have to go to his company anymore but still gathering benefits, as well as money, from it. His agency is specializing in hospitalization business. The number of the employees who are working for Mark is small, but they are all brilliant with nice resumes and efficient working abilities. This company is individually owned by Mark, not sharing stocks with anyone else. How did he start all of this? Yes from the degrees he got in college and graduated school AND from the real life. He told me that he was a street cred. What is this? Does anyone know what it means? Well it means that you learn your lesson from life by yourself, from the society and from the reality. You break out of your shell and discover the world around you. Get some experience. Street cred is a very informal form of saying about a person in suit like Mark. He did that. He spent 20 years of his life building and operating his business. Then later, he used his knowledge he had learned from his own battle to teach the students in college. He said: “my company is like one of my biological child and everything I have done with it and with this school relates respectively to each other.” This man…

He doesn’t stop from that. The more he has done, the more it shows that he’s a true genius. Mark said he expected every of his employee could do something good for life. Every month, he will pay them one day just to go and do charity at some places. And they have been doing that for quite a long time. You have to realize how tough the economy has been for the past 10 years. But he is still able to maintain his “child” prosperously and contribute to the community surrounding. The man is a genius not only because of brilliantly using his skills to operate a successful business, contributing to his students, but also because of his ability to ingeniously taking advantage of his own success to help other people, create happiness. He got all of the respect. And this is a true success.

Moving to the second life of Mark…
It’s funny how I don’t get to take any class of his. Well not that I am not able to take any. It’s just that I am too lazy to wake up for his class, which is often at 7:30 am. BUT I have gotten a lot of chances to work with him since I have been in this college. So long story short, I am a member of the AMA, American Marketing Association. And Marcus is the advisor of the AMA. He just randomly spoke up at one meeting that I went to. But that spontaneous attitude that he showed out that night left me a great impression. Never in my life, have I seen a professor or a teacher that could be so free and so close to students like Mark. I just call him Mark because that’s what I normally do. And he dares say pretty anything off his mind. And people keep promoting his ideas since they are so brilliant and original. If you major in business and you need a good advisor, come to Mark. He is a professional one. One time, I was having a conversation with Mark about my next semester’s schedule; he did not hesitate to tell me what professors I should take for my classes. Even all of the business professors are kind of his friends. But he knows who is good and who is not. And you cannot always talk to a professor who would give you such detailed advices that others would not do, like this. He’s not only a good advisor; he’s also a good teacher. The way he transfers his knowledge to the student really matters. Mark does not make his students write a lot but practicing with a lot of presentations. “They will need them a lot in the future, and I approve this message.”- He said. He lives to contribute and to help people. His manner attracts people to be around him. This makes everyone truly admire Mark and support the idea that he’s a genius.

Okay so you can see Mark is really successful in his life and he is satisfied with it. A lot of people admire him and if you know him, I bet that you will not deny that Mark is a true genius. Working as a professor at a university is not easy at all, not even talking about operating a flourish business. But Mark has made it. What I said at first, original ideas and a successful life make a genius. Marcus McConnell seems to meet all the requirements here right? SO why isn’t him a genius then? From this example of one particular person that I talked about, it should be the same to anyone in the world. However, this is my personal idea only. Other qualities of a genius might be offered more than what I did; but in this case, I believe I proved my point perfectly. Thank you for listening. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment